A Promise to Nurture the Six Dimensions of Wellness
Our fitness and wellness team is committed, through a whole-person approach to a healthy lifestyle, to meeting the individual needs of every resident and team member. We follow the philosophy of the six dimensions of wellness: physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual, vocational and social.
State-of-the Art Wellness Spaces
Our 8,000 square feet of fitness and wellness spaces includes two swimming pools, a fitness studio, a cardio room and a weight room, all furnished with the latest high-tech equipment. You’ll also enjoy an outdoor fitness patio and a wellness courtyard with an outdoor kitchen and a firepit. This calming space is beautifully accented with lush greenery, a stream and fountain, and unique wind sculptures. It’s the perfect place to rest, relax and meditate.
Our aim is to improve the health and wellness of Meadowood residents and team members with all types of interests and abilities. We begin with a balance and fitness assessment, then create a customized plan—just for you—to help you reach your goals. Here are some of our wellness offerings:
- Personal training: Certified personal trainers assess your fitness and create a personalized routine to improve strength, heart health, flexibility and overall wellness.
- Small group fitness training: Combines the social benefits and accountability of group fitness with the one-on-one attention of personal training.
- Over 45 land and aquatic classes: Strength training, balance, and cardio classes matched to interests and abilities, plus tai chi, yoga, dance fitness and other specialty programming.
- One-on-one wellness coaching: Our certified wellness coach will meet with you to assess your lifestyle, interests and health concerns, then create a plan that fits your life.
- Brain fitness: Our nationally certified brain health expert leads classes, trains staff and meets with residents and families to cultivate brain health at all levels of cognitive ability.
- Training for those with exceptional needs: We create customized wellness plans for residents with cognitive and physical challenges. A wide range of classes and wellness walks nurture physical health, enhance movement and develop and maintain neural pathways in the brain.
A Commitment to Wellness Under All Circumstances
We are dedicated to delivering the six dimensions of wellness under all circumstances. During these times, we’ve focused on innovative, safe, no-contact programs, including:
- Courtyard workouts: Members of the fitness team hold exercise classes every morning in a different courtyard.
- Wellness walks: Walks with the residents around the perimeter road twice a day.
- Exercise print outs and equipment loans: We provide residents with illustrated workout sheets targeting all levels of fitness, as well as lend weights, exercise bands and mats, if requested. All items are delivered right to residents’ homes.
- Exercise videos: Videotaped workouts for all levels of fitness are made available on our in-house channel and intranet, from seated chair aerobics, balance class, dance fitness and yoga. We have 22 videos completed to date.
- Hallway exercises: Health Center residents maintain social distance outside their room doors and participate in an exercise program focusing on movement, music and fun!
- Outdoor fitness and wellness classes: Yoga, Ta’i Chi, spin, Golf RX, morning prayer and meditation in the courtyard are offered.
- Virtual classes: Trivia, Journaling and Memory Lane conference call-ins are occurring for those who wish to get together virtually, but don’t have video conferencing capacity.
- Brain health packets: Games, puzzles and brain challenges are available weekly, with answers given the following week.
- Brain class Zoom calls with Eileen: Our resident dementia care expert hosts Zoom calls offering puzzles, games, challenges and conversation designed to keep brains sharp.
- Personal training and wellness coaching: We offer safe, masked, in-home training visits.
- In-home wellness visits: For those who are struggling with social isolation, we offer companion visits to provide the tools to stay in touch with friends and family, facilitate video calls and act as a concierge in linking residents with needed resources.
- Pen pals program: Local organizations and individual community members volunteer to write letters that are distributed to our residents.
- Pandemic expressions: Residents and team members express aspects of their pandemic experience through art, poetry, craft or prose on wooden puzzle pieces that will be assembled and displayed on campus.
- Special events: We have also enjoyed special events, such as themed traveling happy hours, summer mixers, a pooch parade, National Dance Like a Chicken Day, National Musical Instrument Day and more!
“We want to help you not only live longer, but live better.” – Becky Anhorn, Meadowood Fitness & Wellness Director